The number of medical facilities implementing electronic health records (EHRs) is constantly on the rise, which is really no surprise considering the seemingly limitless benefits offered by this innovative new technology.
An overwhelming 74% of physicians using EHRs noted enhanced overall patient care, according to a 2012 study published by the National Center for Health Statistics. A total of 74% of physicians surveyed had accessed patient chart information remotely, 50% were alerted to critical lab values, 41% were informed of a potential medication error and 39% were reminded to provide preventative care to patients.
5 Groundbreaking Benefits of EHRs
Electronic health records offer significant advantages to both patients and clinicians. Five leading gains offered by this innovative healthcare technology include:
- Provide Better Healthcare: EHRs allow providers to maintain comprehensive, accurate and updated medical records. They’re easy to access, facilitating a level of coordinated care never before possible. Clinicians are able to see exactly what prescriptions and treatment plans patients are receiving under the care of other medical professionals, reducing redundancy and the risk of errors.
- Lower Healthcare Costs: Providers are able to decrease paperwork, increase safety, eliminate duplicate testing and improve the overall health of patients when using EHRs, resulting in significantly lower costs.
- Promote Healthier Lifestyles: EHRs help to improve healthier lifestyle choices for everyone by encouraging people to take preventative care measures, practice proper nutrition and engage in heightened physical activity. Additionally, they help to improve the work-life balance of clinicians by improving productivity, giving them more time to focus on their personal lives.
- Increased Capacity to Make Informed Decisions: When pertinent medical information is aimlessly kept in a variety of different places, it’s easy to run into communication barriers, causing valuable information to be lost along the way. The information contained in EHRs makes it possible for medical professionals to more effectively diagnose patients, reduce medical errors and provide all-around safer care.
- Greater Ability to Keep Confidential Information Secure: Not only is it challenging for medical professionals to share paper health records, this outdated method also presents countless opportunities for security breaches. EHRs facilitate the seamless sharing of medical records with patients and other providers, ensuring that private information stays under wraps.
Increased Ability to Improve Business Goals
The benefits of EHRs are endless for providers. Adopting this innovative new technology allows medical professionals to do their jobs in a more efficient manner, cutting costs and advancing healthcare to an entirely new level. Three electronic health records benefits include:
- Creating a Sustainable Medical Practice: EHRs make it possible for providers to establish and maintain a viable practice. This advanced technology makes it much easier to run a medical facility, allowing for effective patient management and higher retention rates.
- Attracting Talented Young Professionals: The next generation of talented young practitioners won’t want to work for a practice that isn’t up-to-date with the latest technology. Implementing EHRs will make it possible to attract these young clinicians.
- Improving the Safety and Quality of Healthcare: EHRs allow healthcare professionals to provide patients with a comprehensive level of care never before possible. Clinicians will be able to treat patients more effectively, improving their overall quality of life.
EHRs are the future of healthcare. This state-of-the-art technology offers countless advantages to both patients and providers, making it essential for facilities to implement.